Program Management


Book Buzz

Media Services receives preview books from various vendors. Schools are welcome to stop by and pick up books for free to add to their media center collection. Or, you can search Horizon (location: Book Buzz) and request books to be sent via courier. Contact Edna Gant for more information.

In order to keep the book, someone (media coordinator, teacher, parent, student, etc.) will read the book and fill out a short review. The following file, Book Buzz Procedures, explains. Use the Book Buzz Fillable Form or Google Form to complete the review.

Collection Development Toolkit

  • Collection Analysis 
    • Step 1: Batch BIB Export
    • Step 2: BTSB
      • To UPLOAD your MARC records, log into the BTSB Bookstore and choose COLLECTIONS from the blue menu bar. Select “Click here” to upload MARC records. Fill out the form on the screen, attach your MARC records file, and select the SEND FILE button.
      • If you would prefer e-mailing your MARC records, address an email to In the subject box, type COLLECTION ANALYSIS RECORDS. In the text of your e-mail, provide the following information: Contact name, school name and address, city, state, ZIP code, phone number, school grade levels, student population, goal for book to student ratio, and any area of special need. Once you have supplied this information, attach your MARC records file and e-mail it to the above address.
      • BTSB will e-mail you a follow-up within an hour and mail the results, also.
    • Step 2: Follett
    •  Step 2: Other Vendors
      • Contact vendor directly


 Digital Citizenship

Instructional Technology DC page

Learning Commons

VLMS is happy to partner with schools to brainstorm ideas for transitioning current media centers into learning commons. This can be started with little funding. Read Educause’s “7 Things You Should Know About …The Modern Learning Commons” for a brief introduction.

 Legal Issues


Call the Inventory Management office for guidance on this issue. The number is 980.343.6252.

Movie Licensing: Show Movies at your school – legally.

You might want to get a license if:

  • Teachers bring in movies to show without checking copyright or may not follow Fair Use Regulations
  • PTA hosts “Movie Night” for fundraising or for family fun
  • Click here for more information:

Procurement Guide

2014-15 Procurement Guide

Virtual Learning & Media Services Intranet (

  • Procurement
  • Student Barcodes
  • Horizon Handbook
  • …and much more!